WHAT IS ERASMUS+ STUDENT MOBILITY FOR TRAINEESHIPS?

Erasmus+ supports traineeships (work placements, internships) abroad for students currently enrolled in higher education institutions in Programme countries at Bachelor and Master level as well as for doctoral candidates. These opportunities are also open to recent graduates.

The internship does not necessarily have to be a mandatory component of the student’s educational program although the economic sector the student works at should be closely related to it. Wherever possible, the traineeships should be an integrated part of the student’s study program. The students have to find their work placements independently.

What are the objectives of student placements?

  • To help students to adapt to the requirements of the EU-wide labour market;
  • To enable students to develop specific skills including language skills and to improve understanding of the economic and social culture of the country concerned in the context of acquiring work experience;
  • To promote cooperation between higher education institutions and enterprises;
  • To contribute to the development of a pool of well-qualified, open-minded and internationally experienced young people as future professionals.

Student mobility for traineeships enables students at higher education institutions to spend

DURATION

Traineeship period has to be at least 2 months. Traineeships that are terminated before two full months are considered incomplete and are not funded; students who terminate their traineeships before two full months have to return all the funding they received.

WHERE DO TRAINEESHIPS TAKE PLACE?

Host (receiving) organizations for student traineeships may be any public or private organization active in the labor market or in the fields of education.

Activities may not take place at European Union institutions and other EU bodies including specialized agencies, organizations managing EU programs, and national diplomatic representations (embassy and consulate) of the home country of the student.

The following types of organizations are not eligible as receiving organizations for student traineeships:

  • EU institutions and other EU bodies including specialized agencies Organizations managing
  • EU programmes such as national agencies.

GRANTS

Group 1

Programme Countries with higher living costs

Denmark, Ireland, France, Italy, Austria, Finland, Sweden, United Kingdom, Liechtenstein, Norway 600 €
Group 2

Programme Countries with medium living costs

Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Spain, Croatia, South Cyprus, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Iceland 500 €
Group 3

Programme Countries with lower living costs

Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Macedonia 400 €

The grants are paid in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total) is paid within 30 days of signing the mobility grant contract (which has to be signed by the participant and the Erasmus Institutional Coordinator). The remaining 20% is paid after the participant returns and upon proper delivery of all the required final placement documents.

No funds will be provided for the durations the participant is absent from the host country for reasons other than those related to the traneeships activities. If the mobility has to be terminated by the participant before completing the minimum duration of placement due to an adverse and unexpected event that could not have been mitigated, she/he might still receive the amount of funds corresponding to the real duration of the placement. In the case of an early termination (before two months) under any other circumstances, the participant will not be entitled to any funding and will have to pay back the amount already received.

There is no connection between the Erasmus grants and other grants and/or scholarships. You should expect to continue to receive your previously existing grants and scholarships during the time you spend abroad as part of erasmus+ program.

REQUIREMENTS REGARDING VISA AND RESIDENCE PERMITS

Erasmus+ program participants from non-European Union countries going into the EU have to apply for a visa to enter the relevant receiving country. In addition, they may also need a longterm visas or a residence permit for the duration of their stay. It is a student’s responsibility to ensure that (short- or long-stay visa, or residence permit) required are in order before the planned activity takes place. It is strongly recommended that the students plan well in advance, since the process may take several weeks.

SPECIAL NEEDS SUPPORT

A person with special needs the grant support may be higher than the maximum individual grant amounts set out above.

Source: https://europa.eu/

For more detailed information about the documentation that needs to be provided in case of applying for extra support please bcontact:

intoffice@biruni.edu.tr

erasmusoutgoing@biruni.edu.tr